Empty thoughts and mutterings

Monday, January 09, 2006

The Likeability Factor

When B brought this up, it got me thinking. The likeability factor at work is a hugely underplayed commodity and in my opinion the most important piece to one's stability at work right after the tangible effects like effectiveness and company's financial position etc. Often times, we do not attempt to understand the importance of how well we get along with our peers and even if we do understand it, we forget to practice it at every mundane instance that comes along. Lucky are those people who are non confrontational by birth and need little or no effort to be liked among peers. It is indeed a difficult exercise to understand the exact importance of the likeability factor in one's survival, functioning and excellence in today's corporate world. Even more difficult is to predict, what one should do in order to fetch himself that "likeable" tag in his company. Each situation is completely different and each person is completely unique which makes generating the recipe for "how do you make yourself likeable" impossible. And I don't claim to propose a solution here. But I want to share an observation here that defies logic a little and will probably be disputed by some of you folks :). I have observed that a little vulnerability at times helps in people starting to like you. When I say vulnerability, I mean a little imperfection here and there, a little "I need your help on this one" attitude. For eg, admitting to your colleague sheepishly, that you lost your way while driving to work that morning and that you couldn't get back for 45 minutes or saying "I locked myself out in my car today, not once, but twice, can you believe how stupid I've been ?". It brings a quick smile to their lips and maybe the next time around, they would admit to some of their own stupidities. But I am not saying you have to admit to every single stupid act you manage to pull off. You get another tag for that that starts with an L and ends with an R with an OSE in between ! :).

I have known some people that want to command power in every single relationship they have and always want to have the last word in any conversation. While this attitude may help in some other facets of life, these people are often easily hated. They are always the last to get the benefit of doubt in any situation. I am a big believer in the " The most powerful men are never liked and the most liked men are never powerful" school of thought. Even in social circles, I have observed the hatred growing in some people towards the "centers of attraction" for no reason other than the fact that they cornered a lot of the attention. As far as I am concerned, when I have been popular I've liked it. When I have been the center of attraction, I've liked it. But all that's nothing compared to the knowledge that I am liked by my friends or peers whichever may apply. In a work atmosphere, it helps to have a slightly casual approach towards things. It also helps to allow peers to take a trip at your expense once in a while. Ofcourse that provides you with the license of returning the favor when the opportunity shows up, and promotes more camaraderie in general. I have wondered how this can have an actual impact on one's survival or improvement. When I thought about it, I could recollect atleast 3-4 instances, where good will, the likeability factor and other intangible factors have made tangible contributions to some of my friends' work lives. While one friend was asked to leave from one department because the department was cutting down, another department picked him up because a manager there had previously had a few conversations with him and he had happened to like him. In another case, another friend mentioned to me that he was promoted to a senior position and was picked over a far smarter, more effective guy, owing solely to his "team man" image. So people, the next time a peer asks you to with him for lunch for the 5 th time that week, instead of giving him the same old no with the smile, think about saving the thayir saadham with lemon pickle for later and going down to lunch with him and who knows how it might help you ?

21 Comments:

  • Hmm...interesting. A likeable personality along with technical competence can take you places. Maybe you should have also included another angle in this writeup - issues that immigrants like us face in the US: totally not relating to the conversation sometimes (eg: hunting), tired of superficial talk (eg: So, how was your week? and not waiting for a reply)...ok, I'll stop here and not blog at your url ;)

    By Blogger RS, at 4:57 PM  

  • hmmm.. nice post machi... the one thing i understand clearly is that you have beeb looking at the mirror a lot lately or have been doing a lot of introspection....err.. or both.. :)

    cheers mate!

    By Blogger Zeppelin, at 5:08 PM  

  • @Dinesh,
    I agree about the likeability factor. It helps to be liked than to be popular..:)
    >> " The most powerful men are never liked and the most liked men are never powerful"
    Sometimes, you can't place too much faith in people's likes and dislikes. A lot of people dislike just because someone is successful or powerful. "dislike" becomes a mask for "jealousy".
    But yeah, I do agree with your post for the most part..:)

    By Blogger The Doodler, at 7:28 PM  

  • Pretty good one Dinesh..nice observation and analogies..anyways my $.02¢ on this

    I had a poster(of Stefan Edberg when he won the Wimbledon) with me during my(read “our”) schooldays which had the time worn adage “nice guys finish first-sometimes” and guess its being challenged now that shows likeability can even trump competence. I had always believed that the L-factor was critical for success for both at work and in our personal lives. People might have the greatest skill sets but if they continue to win the “unpopularity” contests on a regular basis then it will soon be curtains when it comes to advancing to the next level and moving up the value chain.

    For those more interested in the L-factor u can read the book by Tim Sanders.

    Question Dinesh..Can we become more likeable or is it a born trait among people???

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:54 PM  

  • @dinesh,
    a well written post...! being a Howard Roark definitely doesnt help, but one shud work on the L-factor only for the sake of being more approachable to peers & subordinates and likable across all levels, rather than practicing it just for favors. being honest & natural are the keywords of the L-factor.

    @bala,
    practice brings perfection, even if being likeable is a person's inborn trait, he still needs to develop & practice it for situations & not overkill. I am sure this post will make people give a thought about the L-factor & thereby making it cultivatable... :-)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:37 AM  

  • pretty interesting one dinesh

    my 2 cents:)

    it all depends - depends on the kind of organisational culture and the people.

    i am basically a very accomodating character. This helped me stay in a team a few years back when i was starting my career. the same attitude puts me in trouble now.

    so it all depends...

    sometimes we shud do the talking in different ways (workwise)...

    By Blogger expertdabbler, at 5:59 AM  

  • RS - I will talk about those things. But I wanted to focus on how important it is to be likeable !

    Zep - Why do you say that ? Because introspection is not what's making me write this. :)

    Subha - You're right. You shouldn't place too much importance in people's likes and dislikes. That depends on the situation. But generally, it is better to be likeable.

    By Blogger dinesh, at 6:20 AM  

  • Bala - Thanks ! I had the same poster myself :). Will read the sanders book. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Good question: It is a combination of both. For some people it comes easier than others. But it can definitely be developed. A question of how moldable one is and another big factor is exposure. The more exposure one had has, the more one understands the need to be likeable.

    By Blogger dinesh, at 6:24 AM  

  • Latha,

    Good point. But my post was about how being likeable helps you get better at work. In that sense, mine was only a "materialistic" post. I wasn't writing this to make one a better person or a better human being !

    I would have approached it a little differently if my intent was to make people think about becoming better as individuals. Lucky are the ones that don't have to try hard to be likeable. For the others, if you can't be likeable without expecting favors, atleast be likeable expecting favors !

    By Blogger dinesh, at 6:31 AM  

  • PK - I agree. It is a situation based thing. Sometimes you have to put your foot down or act egotistically etc. That depends on the situation. I wasn't asking you to sport a smile during those times. Whatever it takes for one to be succesful. If being likeable isn't working, then do what it takes ! :)

    By Blogger dinesh, at 6:35 AM  

  • OMG...I thought this was one of your frivoulous indulgence posts... didnt think you were this serious about the whole thing mate!

    i thought so, cos some things which you have put down here reminded me of you and the "sentimental lady's" version of you... "centre of attraction", etc...etc.. :)

    By Blogger Zeppelin, at 9:15 AM  

  • A very well written post. Adore the power of expression and the consequential punch rising purely out of the content and not the language, keeping it simple and clean. While your accepted theory of "The most powerful men are never liked and the most liked men are never powerful" is applicable, there is a definite difference where the not so liked one is disliked yet respected or purely disliked. The true leaders are respected although they are disagreed largely. The "Center of attraction" hogs are usually just purely hated and rightfully so for reasons only too numerous to list. Not always does the hatred rise out of pure envy :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:48 AM  

  • Zep - This was a serious post. It's no big deal though :)

    Anonymous - Thanks for your compliments. Agree with your point about the disliked one being respected ! The case I made about the center of attraction however is a little different. I was talking about people being hated for no reason other than them being the center of attraction ! Yeah, when one's the center of attraction you put yourself in a position to be more hateable. That is without you doing much that deserves the hating. Ofcourse after that comes the "hateable" part, that's a whole another story :)

    By Blogger dinesh, at 6:13 AM  

  • Anonymous - Do I know you ?

    By Blogger dinesh, at 6:52 AM  

  • yes you do.. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:19 AM  

  • Dinesh,
    ippo ellam neriya yosikareengalo...
    hmmm. Good for others and you as well!!
    Nice post!!
    I agree and when your company is being liked and when it is being expressed, we should respect it and understand that and be flexible to change our ideas/ plans!!
    Nice post!!

    By Blogger Maayaa, at 10:34 AM  

  • Anon: That answer does nothing for me unless you tell me who you are. I saw nothing in your comment that required anonymity ? :)

    Priya - Thank you ! Avlo ellam yosikkale...oru chinna thought process, avlo dhaan !

    By Blogger dinesh, at 8:14 AM  

  • You are absolutely right. we should be able to give and also be humble enough to receive (advise....)from others. Good blog

    By Blogger smiley, at 3:52 AM  

  • My mother used to say, "It is nice to be important, but it is more important to be nice". Yes, it's important to be likeable and that mostly comes from actually liking others. Doesn't help when you start becoming a misanthrope like me! But not to lose hope..I still have some likeability and liking left..I recently got out of a hefty library fine and a 6-month extension on a book that had a hold on it because the librarian liked me! (Remember Don from Akron?!)
    Btw, you've been tagged.

    By Blogger RTD2, at 9:06 PM  

  • Smiley,

    Thanks ! Good to see a new face !

    RT - Good for you. Yeah, you don't know who thinks we are likeable and who doesn't. For some it comes naturally ( to try to be likeable), for some others, they don't care..

    When I saw that you had tagged me, I was like "oh no. not another one", but after actually readinng your stuff, I want to answer the tag. Will do pretty soon !

    By Blogger dinesh, at 1:14 PM  

  • A very good one.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home