Empty thoughts and mutterings

Thursday, September 08, 2005

Sweet Home Kentucky !

It was a 9 hour drive from Lexington to Baltimore. I waved goodbye to Vijay, Anand and Vasu and was on my way. I was all by myself and had all the privacy I ever wanted. It was an hour into my journey and that's when it hit me...

The next time I come back to Lexington, I will be a guest. I will have to knock before I enter D224 or A306.

There will be no HOME to come back to, after all the good food and pampering in Baltimore.

Vijay will not call me on a random wednesday afternoon and say "Dinesh, naan padikka poren, adhukku munnadi edhavadhu oru matter sollu"

I turned the music on, and I could not stop myself from rolling back to fall '02 (when I came into KY) and taking a trip down memory lane. My first visit to take a look at the university, my first room mates, my frequent akron visits, shooting basketball alone in the cooperstown courts hoping I could get to meet someone, first show with alaap, starting LTCA with Ramya, our first show, the visa debacle, my return after a woeful 6 months, thaen mazhai, the cricket matches, mokkai sessions at D 224, LTCA hand off, job search struggles, and the list goes on. It slowly dawned on me that I was going to lose everything I was a part of, in 1 day and before the end of the day, I would have "Once Lived" in KY. The music did its part in poking where it hurt, with lyrics that I would have paid little attention to, until today.

"Vaasapadi kadakkiyile varalaye pechchu, pallappatti thaandiputta paadhi uyir pochu"

"Poraale Ponnuthaayi, Pogira pokkila manasa vittu"

"Uravin perumai pirivil kandu uyiril paathi kuraindhen"

I found a rest area shortly thereafter, and took a 5 minute water break before heading back.

11 Comments:

  • Guess life is all about change - the sooner you learn to accomodate the change, the better....hope you find the right kinda people to hang out with in Edison! - P

    By Blogger Whatever, at 7:51 AM  

  • dude

    awesome post.. felt exactly the same way when I left home(India) 4 years back...But then a year back when I left Cincinnati, I actually had tears in my eyes and this watermelon of a choke in my throat, while I was driving... :)

    cheers mate ! CONGRATS and GOOD LUCK !

    -ak

    By Blogger Zeppelin, at 11:14 AM  

  • Neenga ezhudhinadhu paatha kashtamaa irukku !! But then, this is how you would have entered lexington too right!!!

    By Blogger Maayaa, at 7:55 PM  

  • boy

    arasiyalla idhellaam sagajammappa...

    sometimes i feel the same when i knock my home door at madurai during wee hours after overnight travel from chennai.

    atleast in chennai, my second home, i dont have to feel so, for, i will be the one to open the door at whatever time i reach :)

    are you in Baltimore or in edison?
    anyway welcome to DC area :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:03 AM  

  • Dude..Don't worry..Now that u're in NJ, whether u like it or not, u'll have lots of visitors too cheap to stay in NYC but wanting to go there (like me!!)Seriously though..u'll have fun. Good luck. With *everything* :)

    By Blogger RTD2, at 8:04 PM  

  • you have been tagged

    By Blogger Maayaa, at 3:59 PM  

  • Nice one, buddy. I guess everybody goes through such stages. Life is full of it. So, no worries.

    Just remember to cherish the good memories and burn the bad ones.

    Congrats on your job and good luck!

    -Sriram

    By Blogger Sriram, at 8:11 AM  

  • Whatever : Thanks ...Yet to find out who I am going to hang out with, in NJ. But I sure hope it's the "right" kinda people :)

    Zep - Thanks ! Yeah, had a choke in my throat too. It was more out of "disbelief", because I never got ready for this mentally till I left.


    Priya - Illenu sollale, chumma manasula nenaichadha ezhudhinen. Avlodhaan. Adheppadi, 3 varusham enna vechchu seruppa ozhaicha KY/Lex a avlo simple a vittu poga mudiyum ? :)

    Will answer your tag soon !

    By Blogger dinesh, at 8:43 PM  

  • Sridhar,

    I understand how you felt during the trips to madurai and back ! Been there myself. Am temporarily in Baltimore with my parents and anna/manni. Will be leaving to Edison soon.

    Rt --- Hope "everything" works out ;) and thanks for your wishes !

    Sriram, yeah..was talking about you to RT the other day. Remember the transition from Akron to Pittsburgh ? Man, it was terrible and funny at the same time.

    By Blogger dinesh, at 8:49 PM  

  • konja naal ku appadi thaan irukum, aporama NJ la poi settle aanavudan,
    pasanga kumbal la oru vinay,prabhakar,visu, kb and ponnunga gumbal la oru pathu perum kidachaa ellaaam sariyaayidum.

    lex ku vanthaa unaku neraiya NEWs irukum nu ninaikiren!

    By Blogger Prabhu, at 9:51 AM  

  • Hmph - I should not comment here considering you hardly had the time to say a decent goodbye - but the mature, understanding friend that I am, I will learn to forgive and remind you of this for the next 5 years!

    By Blogger RS, at 12:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home