Empty thoughts and mutterings

Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Tags, Tidbits and Movie screens..

I've been tagged by Sujan. I used to be a voracious reader. But these days, books are nothing more than travel company. They are dusted and packed when a trip happens and are put back promptly in the shelf finished or unfinished, and are not disturbed till the next trip. Unlike Sujan, I am purely a fiction reader especially when I have to pay money to get these books. You can never go wrong with a fiction novel, just like some would say, "when in doubt, go with a rajinikanth movie". Honestly, I haven't explored enough with the other genres to make a meaningful comparison. I keep thinking I should, maybe someday I will ! I started reading with enid blyton's fiction series and exhausted practically all of Enid Blyton's writings..Five findouters being my favorite (Recall fredrick algernoon troteville anybody ? ). I was so crazy about Blyton that I used to miss my school cricket matches to read her books (Missing cricket and Me? That never happens !). Stayed with Blyton and hitchcock for a good amount of time. After that it was Hardy boys for a while and then I moved to Agatha Christie and Sidney Sheldon and Jeffrey Archer. It was when I was in college that I chanced upon a P.G Wodehouse novel and I started reading it because I had nothing better to do. Man, was I happy. I am not great at describing art, but this man definitely has a knack with words. A sense of humor like none other, he plays with words making us readers look so human ! If you haven't had a chance to read Wodehouse, give it a shot, you won't regret it.

Last book I bought : Tell me your dreams (Sidney sheldon)

Last book I read : Tell me your dreams (Unlike other sheldon books, a lot less masala, and some good research into the topic. I liked this one. try it ! )

Total Books I own : Less than 10

Books that mean(t) a lot to me: Didn't make a change in my life or anything like that. But I enjoyed reading these books.

1. The stuttering parrot (Alfred Hitchcock)
2. The doomsday conspiracy (Sidney Sheldon)
3. Aunts aren't gentlemen (PG Wodehouse)

And here I tag

1. Laka - Would like to know what you read
2. Sangeetha - I am sure you have some interesting insights for us
3. PB - I know he reads a lot of good stuff. I am sure he has a lot to say about them as well.
4. Ashok - We always would want to know more about an interesting gentleman like ashok. Wouldn't we ? :)
5. RT - Whenever you get back ! Would like to know what you read ! A psychologist's perspective :)
6. Priya - Priya..remember, no toxicology books allowed :)

Nothing like Cricket ! The midwest tournament started last weekend and inspite of being extremely tired, I couldn't sit out this game. We won our first game against charleston and our next game's against Louisville. It is a great feeling to get back on the grass to be a part of everything that goes on in a cricket match ! I was thinking about forgoing this season. But the feeling of satisfaction after every win or every 50 is too inviting. So here I am, in another midwest tournament ! Go UK !

Listened to "Oru naal oru kanavu" in Raaga. One of Raja's best in recent times. It's a fazil movie and some numbers are very simple and pleasing (Kaatril varum geethame, khajuraho and Ponnukkindha). The conversation between Vaali and Ilayaraja provides good insights into how music gets written and composed. Very neat ! I liked Tippu's voice in ponnukindha song.

Lexington Tamil Cultural Association Proudly PresentsTamil Cinema's Magnum-opus"Anniyan"

Wednesday, 22nd June 2005 Time: 7:30 p.m Venue: Reel Deal Cinemas,South Park Shopping Center,Nicholasville Road(Behind Best Buy n Toys’R’us stores) Lexington, KY Tickets:$12 per person.Ages 7 to 15: $6, under 7 years: Free Tickets Available @:Vishal Intl.Saagar Indian StoresTandoor

LTCA comm. members - Good luck !!

10 Comments:

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:56 PM  

  • Cool man, looks like you are back with a vengeance :)

    By Blogger kamal, at 2:33 PM  

  • Vaanga, parthu rombo naal achu:-).

    Hey good one. PGW - padikannum.
    i remember reading Doomsday conspiracy.

    what you say about travel& reading is right. you can't read anything heavier than a vikatan during travel.

    and cricket? angeyum in a big way is it? urupta maadhiridhaan

    Anniyan, lets wait and see.rombo pesaraanga. bayama irukku - enakkillai, producerukku:-).

    By Blogger expertdabbler, at 6:03 PM  

  • Finally, it took a book tag to get you back to the blog world!

    By Blogger The Doodler, at 6:04 PM  

  • AmaAm .. Writers perumbaAlum Pen Enama-vey erukkKaley !

    NadaThu!

    Entha side ponaalum LTCA ad-than !

    KalaKki Podungo ! good luck with ur efforts ..


    -Vasu

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:58 AM  

  • Kamal - :)

    PK - Namma reading erkanave light. Vikatan nu solli innum undermine panna paakkareengale :). Cricket - super inge. Edho nammalaala mudinjadhu. Anniyan is special because, for a small community like we have here, this is a big effort and requires tremendous co-operation and organization. We'll keep you posted on how it turns out. :)

    Subha - Busy nu solli nazhuivikkalam nu thonithu. But adhellam ille..just no sarakku ! Non-writer's block :)

    By Blogger dinesh, at 9:01 AM  

  • There was a this amazing phase in my life where if and when I got hold of a Blandings novel, I would absolutely do nothing else before finishing it-not even go out to play :-). I miss those days. Am not sure if I can get back to the same level of intensity.. but i sure would love to get hold of some unread PGWs. BTW PGW is the mentor of our Crazy Mohan.

    Recently, my reading (any fiction novels ranging from philosophy to sci-fi) has been rejuvinated. Thats what i do during whenever I get some free time at work (thus i read e-books close to 40 hours a week).

    Cricket: i know you contributed a lot to our team last weekend. Hopefully there is less pressure on you in the coming matches ... :-)

    - Laka

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:31 AM  

  • Laka Laka Laka Lakaaaaaa !

    -Vasu

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:59 AM  

  • Dinesh

    i mailed you to your university id. Hope you are the dinesh listed in the LTCA website:-)

    By Blogger expertdabbler, at 11:48 PM  

  • Laka,

    Thanks for responding to my tag. Have heard somewhere that Crazy Mohan was a PGW fan.

    Yeah, I agree about the pressure. The same goes to you too. The team wants you to play at the same high level. If you can continue on like this, there's little doubt who the team's MVP would be ;)

    By Blogger dinesh, at 6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home