Empty thoughts and mutterings

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Save the earth..

This is in response to RTD2's tag. Normally, I would not have responded to a regular tag with such enthusiasm, but this one I thought was worth it. RT has some good ideas on how to save the earth for our children. We don’t have to implement everything that’s been said. But a few changes in our system can mean a lot to someone else's life. So here’s my little list.

1. Save power wherever possible. Before you leave home, take 10 seconds to make sure you’ve turned all lights and other electric utilities off. Saves power and if you look at it selfishly, your electric bill goes down as well. Prabhu deserves credit for this one. He was the one that first put this idea in my head.
2. Save water. Do not leave the water running because the water’s being paid by somebody else, or because it doesn’t make a big difference to your bill. People in chennai struggle everyday for their daily fill of water, and it makes me guilty that we waste gallons of drinking water here just because we can.
3. This is something that has been bothering me for a while now. Can anybody explain why it is considered unfashionable to stop and help somebody that’s been injured in an auto accident? I have been guilty of this many times, and I am ashamed of it. People like to stand around and watch when their help would have mattered a lot. The next time something of this nature happens, I want to make amends. I hope you will too. (This probably is not as much a fit under the “save the earth for your children” category as it is under the “be a better person in your society” category, but I wanted to put this here anyway)

I want to listen to what Ramya, Priya and PK have to say on this topic.

12 Comments:

  • interesting list dude... talkin about turning the lights and appliances off... i wanted to bring up another item in the "appliance turning off" category.. :) - The Air Conditioner..not the individual window mounted ones, but the kind of AC's which are used for heating and cooling like we do here..

    The desi dudes who are my wonderful roomies used to turn the AC off in summer everyday before going to work... I am not taking credit or anything, but told them numerous times set it on AUTO and set it a moderate temperature so that it will shut down... few weeks into the summer, one day the AC system broke down.. and we were burning inside... the only good thing was we have separate rooms.. so we could be "free" ..if you know what i mean.. ;)

    point #3 - the kind of people who stand around and are "patient observers" are called "Rubber Neckers" here in the US... hehehehe.. pretty intuitive coinage..dont you think ? :)

    nice post man...

    cheers!

    By Blogger Zeppelin, at 11:55 AM  

  • aahaa,

    very interesting tag

    i was having second thoughts on this tag thing. 144 ed it sometime back. but have decided to to this based on the seriousness of the topic

    koncham time kudu pa:)

    By Blogger expertdabbler, at 6:37 PM  

  • oops i forgot

    for pt #3
    check this short story by sujatha.
    http://www.desikan.com/blogcms/wiki/index.php?id=s_s_arisi
    (got this link from pb's blog)

    i dunno if the situation(legal hassles in accidents) has changed now.

    By Blogger expertdabbler, at 6:43 PM  

  • Zep - Funny how you the AC system broke ! Yeah "rubber neckers" ..good word for them ! At least these people are made fun of here. In India, every body is a damn rubber necker..so it's pot calling the kettle black !

    PK - Very nice job with the tag.
    As for the story, it was terrific. Very realistic. And for the moral, whose interpretation was it ? Indeed, a sorry state of affairs with legal battles and stuff.

    By Blogger dinesh, at 7:16 AM  

  • hahaha !! exactly pot-kettle.. :)

    By Blogger Zeppelin, at 12:41 PM  

  • Thanks Dinesh! Using electricity, water, oil, gas, etc. prudently is the very least we can do,and thanks for reminding people about it. As for #3, look in any social psych textbook - the phenomenon is a well-researched one called the "Bystander effect". It's slightly more complicated than we think, call me for a lecture! For a dry comment on it look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bystander_effect

    By Blogger RTD2, at 7:22 PM  

  • You have a nice blog here, Dinesh. Monday morning enna vela paaka vidama panniteenga! :)
    Anyway, agree with all the points.
    Some more things that come to my mind are- preventing pollution and improving the environment by using bio-diesel fuel, which is... well, biodegradable. Whatever happened to the good old bicycle?? Nobody seems to use it for short distances. My friends actually thought that I was stark raving mad, when I said I'm planning to buy one. I often get looked down on, when I don't make way for vehicles that use the platform to avoid traffic. Such people have the nerve to honk incessantly and even pick up fights about why I'm not giving them way. The growing indifference to pedestrians and bicycle commuters really puts me off. Aana, eruma maadu mela mazha penja madhiri, I always stick to my decision... heh heh :) Another age old issue is over population. I guess nothing can be done about that...

    By Blogger Viji, at 10:03 PM  

  • RT - Bystander effect, interesting. Trust a psychologist to conceptualize every little mundane act in life. Trust another to find it for you every time you need it :)

    Viji - Thank you. Good points about Biodegradable fuel and bicycle usage. Population is my pet complaint as well. I think people of this day and age, seem to be more aware. Or is just me ?

    By Blogger dinesh, at 8:14 AM  

  • I've taken the liberty of adding you to my "Links" section :)
    -viji

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:32 PM  

  • Viji,

    It's an honor ! Likewise, I am adding you to mine !

    By Blogger dinesh, at 6:27 AM  

  • Dins,

    Lexington la paruppa irunthu NJ poi romba poruppa irukka arambichutta ppola irukke!

    Veetla sollaren, enaku than un anna voda number theriyume!

    By Blogger Prabhu, at 11:12 AM  

  • BTW,

    Good job about keeping this tag going along.

    By Blogger Prabhu, at 11:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home