Empty thoughts and mutterings

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Irresponsible Journalism

Journalists, to me are like musicians. There are no bad ones (Well..Almost!). There are the really good ones and then there are the "may be not as good" ones. Whichever way you look at it, talent can only be a good thing. Be it little talent or a great amount of talent. Individual tastes differ and people like some writers better than others depending on their field of interest, style of writing and other factors. But this one journalist annoys me no end. Ours is a cricket loving nation and people can't get enough information about the team and the sport itself. When you're in the public eye so much, there comes a responsibility with it. You're expected to be neutral, and to provide an opinion based on facts or a good understanding of the system. When you are entrusted with the power to alter people's thinking about the sport and it's activities, you better make sure you don't abuse it. When I read his columns I am reminded of those guys in "tape ball" cricket, that have the least knowledge of the rules but are the loudest in the field and incessantly argue every decision or ruling. When I first started reading his columns, I thought "Why is this guy being so biased ?". But like I usually do, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. He has a good command of the language. Unfortunately, that's about the only good thing I can say about his writing. As I started to read his writings more, I slowly realized that this guy can be trusted to be consistently biased and stupid. We don't agree with everything, every writer has to say, sure. But this guy just takes "biased" to a whole another level. After all, you're writing along side legends like Michael Holding. Where's the class my friend ?

Read this article, and tell me what he attempted to achieve through this.

18 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home