Empty thoughts and mutterings

Thursday, August 17, 2006

Irresponsible Journalism

Journalists, to me are like musicians. There are no bad ones (Well..Almost!). There are the really good ones and then there are the "may be not as good" ones. Whichever way you look at it, talent can only be a good thing. Be it little talent or a great amount of talent. Individual tastes differ and people like some writers better than others depending on their field of interest, style of writing and other factors. But this one journalist annoys me no end. Ours is a cricket loving nation and people can't get enough information about the team and the sport itself. When you're in the public eye so much, there comes a responsibility with it. You're expected to be neutral, and to provide an opinion based on facts or a good understanding of the system. When you are entrusted with the power to alter people's thinking about the sport and it's activities, you better make sure you don't abuse it. When I read his columns I am reminded of those guys in "tape ball" cricket, that have the least knowledge of the rules but are the loudest in the field and incessantly argue every decision or ruling. When I first started reading his columns, I thought "Why is this guy being so biased ?". But like I usually do, I gave him the benefit of the doubt. He has a good command of the language. Unfortunately, that's about the only good thing I can say about his writing. As I started to read his writings more, I slowly realized that this guy can be trusted to be consistently biased and stupid. We don't agree with everything, every writer has to say, sure. But this guy just takes "biased" to a whole another level. After all, you're writing along side legends like Michael Holding. Where's the class my friend ?

Read this article, and tell me what he attempted to achieve through this.

12 Comments:

  • and he is the managing editor of cricketnext??
    surprissing.....

    chumma jolly-ku ezhuthi irukaan-nu ninaikiren... didnt have anything useful, slap slap nu soli irukan full article-la

    By Blogger Prabhu, at 10:41 AM  

  • Read his other articles da. I understand if this was the only article he was joking around in. Almost all his other articles are based on blind support to one party and bashes the other party baselessly and you get the sense that he is completely biased and shouldn't be doing what he is doing. Apart from the decent english, there's nothing educated about his writing.

    By Blogger dinesh, at 10:54 AM  

  • unga post padichu mudikarathukulla kanna kattiduchu ithula innoru link padikka solli home work kuduthu irukeenga.... :-)

    By Blogger Syam, at 1:55 PM  

  • dude some people can't be changed. its a waste of our time to read his articles any more.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:01 PM  

  • hm looks like too much fluff and very little stuff..

    but seriously, there are some stupid, wicked journos if u ask me.

    i thought R Mohan was the best for cricket until he was linked to the beting scandal and the Hindu chucked him out(or so i heard).

    Vijay Lokapally is ok, at best.

    The best sportswriters,imho in India, are

    Nirmal Shekhar and
    Rohit Brijnath

    i'm particularly a great fan of NS

    By Blogger expertdabbler, at 8:51 PM  

  • I actually thought it was pretty darn funny !

    By Blogger Sayee, at 4:02 PM  

  • Hey Dinesh,

    I totally agree with you that Sanjay Jha is as biased as it gets. But this particular piece isn't as bad as his usual pro-ganguly, anti chappell rant.

    I once had an email conversation with Prem Panicker (Rediff) where we mutually bitched about Cricketnext.

    His worst was the supposed unearthing of the chappell-more story. Pretty pathetic guy.


    -Sriram

    By Blogger Sriram, at 8:45 AM  

  • Syam - Edho enakku irukkara kaduppa ongaloda share pannikkalaam nu dhaan :)

    Anon - I agree

    PK - Yeah, I thought R Mohan was the best too. As for NS, his way with words is amazing. But konjam average understanding of the game dhaan IMO. I had a chance to meet with him in chennai. Had a good time.

    By Blogger dinesh, at 7:51 AM  

  • Sayee - You have to read some of his previous articles to understand how much crap this guy can feed us.

    Srriam - Yeah. I've read a lot of his pro-ganguly and anti chappell rants. Real childish I used to think. To me, he does not have a hang of the game, the players or has no idea how things are in the dressing room. But he likes to yap away, with his pre conceived ideas and bias.

    By Blogger dinesh, at 7:54 AM  

  • I demand a new post! :)

    By Blogger Viji, at 4:10 AM  

  • Jacob- Still remember the day during our pondy trip- when I was explaining to you why the "sindhiya venmani" song was so flaw less..and you having this "what the hell are you talking about dude" expression ! From that day on, I realize it's futile to explain my thought process about music to you. So yeah, there are a lot of bad musicians, I agree ! :)

    Viji - Kettelono ? Pottaachu maami !

    By Blogger dinesh, at 12:55 PM  

  • Jacob,

    No you're not getting old. You have been old for a long time :)

    I get what you're saying about good-music these days. To me, while I agree in principle with what you are saying, I have to say that people who try to bring a certain style to their music, also are mistaken as "lifters". When if you listen to the music on a deeper level, you'd know that they feel the music, that they have it in them and that their adaptation has their stamp on it. Their passion shines through.

    By Blogger dinesh, at 1:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home