Empty thoughts and mutterings

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Wildcat madness, Steroids and WBC

As much as I’d like to see UK go far in the tournament, I realize the prospects for a final four are slim to none. We have been mediocre all year through, losing at home to far inferior teams and not gelling as a unit. As a matter of fact, I don’t remember one high profiled win that we can write home about. Beating Tennessee at Tennessee is probably the closest, but I don’t know about Tennessee being a # 2 seed, I have my reservations about that! I ask myself, what is the problem here? Where did we lose the big battle? It starts with Tubby Smith. Don’t get me wrong. I love Tubby. Just like those big guys say on TV, if I had a choice, I’d like my kid to play for him. He’s just the thorough professional who understands the value of a good college education. But his recruiting abilities have come under the microscope. Sometimes I get the impression that the concepts of “Team Basketball” are over emphasized. Extremely talented players like Randolph morris, Rajan Rondo, Joe Crawford are made to don the role of team players and are forced to come off the bench, or given a paltry 16 minutes per game and team players like sheray Thomas, Lukaz obrzut and Bobby perry that have zero ball handling skills and shooting skills, play about 20 minutes a game. It is important for a team to gel together. But I think Tubby’s going overboard with his policy. After all, your best players have to play the longest, come on, it’s just common sense. You can’t make Sachin play at #9, because Harbhajan scored 2 fifties, can you ? ! "Kaathaadi kku vaal irukkudhu ndrathunaala korangu parakka mudiyuma ?" :)

Are Sammy Sosa, Mark Mcgwire and Barry Bonds Juiced? There is no question in my mind that they are/were. The solution to this is not extremely simplified however. Everybody wants to know if they deserve to be in the hall of fame. The answer is simple. No. They don’t. They clearly got an added edge over their predecessors. That is simply not allowed! They tarnished the reputation of the game, and for that reason, they should not be allowed to go to the Hall. I don’t understand Bonds’ repeated indifference to this question. I understand his irritation. But not once has he answered the question! I say, just come out clean and give all the details. It’s not like people still believe he didn’t use it. Everybody knows he used it. It’s well documented. Who is he hiding from? Coming out clean, may actually salvage some of his lost reputation. That aside, I wonder... Whose fault is all this? Rewind 5 years.. “Sammy sosa and Mark Mcgwire are on a HR fest. I (Bonds) am technically a better hitter than either of those guys. My technique should allow for more HR than either of them. But why do I hit 37 in a season and watch these guys hit 65 and 70? Everybody seems to be using this crap. Am I the only one missing out on some solid numbers here? Yes. If I get caught, my reputation’s going for a walk. But what the heck, it’s MLB, they don’t test here!”. And it is hard for people not to think that way. Because if you’re a rookie and looking to make a mark in the majors, a couple of extra HR’s can only help your cause. And if you’re a mid level guy and earning 3 million a year, those HR’s can get you $ 7 million a year. What? Am I stupid to miss out on those extra millions ? I know who’s to blame. Bud selig and the baseball players union ! That’s who !

“Idhuekkellam kaaranam yaaru ? suhrawardy a ..ille?
Barrister jinnah va ? NO
Gandhi. Barrister Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi”

Did any of you happen to notice the batting line up for the Dominican in the WBC? I did and was stunned. 1. Alfonso Soriano 2. Miggy Tejada 3. Albert Pujols 4. David Ortiz 5. Adrian Beltre 6. Moises Alou. This because Vlad Guererro was not healthy. Imagine the line up if he had been. For non baseball fans, that’s the cricket equivalent of 1.Sachin 2. Gilchrist 3. Lara 4. Ponting 5. Inzy and 6. Pietersen .Mahanadhila shobana sr. solra dialogue dhaan nyabagathukku varudhu. "Ponga da dei, ethanai per ra" !!

3 Comments:

  • come on, cut coach Tubby some slack now :) I know basketball standards in the blue grass area is pretty high but giving a coach who won a national championship in his first season, 6 sweet sixteens in 9 seasons, and coming of an elite eight as late as 2005 the boot or saying as the problem seems a little far fetched.

    As you say, if everyone wants their kids to play for him, sooner or later he is going to get those elite kids to play at Rupp. I wont underestimate the team play in basketball or for that matter any sport(Patriots anybody). Star players doesnt always mean big wins. Team US at Olympics and worldcup basketball is a classic example.

    Btw, Have you seen Lady Judd in Rupp Arena anytime :)

    By Blogger Hellboy, at 9:44 PM  

  • Reg. Baseball, Barry is never going to come out and admit anything, dude. Are you kidding me? That'd be directly against his grand jury testimony. You think he'd liked to be jailed for perjury to get on the good page of the fans for whom he never cared for anyway?

    As far as his steroid use goes, afterall he himself admitted that he took the cream and the clear. And FLASH NEWS: Cream and clear were steroids!! and they (HGH) are still untested for! IMO, Barry Bonds is a cheater, and the whole argument that he was a HOF'er before 1998 doesn't hold much water. You are right. Cheaters don't have a place in the HOF. Bottomline.

    FYI, Baseball did have rules that steroids were banned since 1991. (yeah 1991, when the US govt made them illegal), but it was never tested for.

    As far as WBC's go, I can say one thing. There are a total of 2 major leaguers in the WBC final. Big leagues can't boast any more that they play at the highest level. Yet, Americans will consider that they are the greatest in the sport. Its not going to change their opinion. See basketball for e.g. The US has been beaten repeatedly in the last 5 years by lesser known teams. But as long as they have the money and get the foriegners to play in their lands, the international competition will only be considered an afterthought.

    By Blogger Sriram, at 2:26 PM  

  • Hell boy: Am not asking for his boot. Am merely pointing out a flaw. That's all. I love his style of coaching, his emphasis on defense, and in general his class as the basketball coach of a perennial powerhouse. I am not asking for star players as well ! I love the team concept too. But, even in the concept of a succesful team sport, the talents have to be utilized well. You shouldn't over sell the concept, is what I am trying to say. For eg, it wouldn't make sense to bring Rip hamilton from the bench or play a Rasheed wallace only 10 minutes, because you have others who can fill in !

    And no, I haven't seen lady judd in the stands. Have seen her only on TV (during the games) just like you have ! :)


    Sriram: I forgot about the grand jury testimony for a second. Yeah, you're right, that explains it. As for the WBC though, I think you may be a little off. I don't think Americans will think they are the best right now. I don't think they are. The latin talent is too much for them to just ignore it. I know they think they;re unbeatable in basketball, but in baseball, I don't think they think that way.

    By Blogger dinesh, at 10:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home